National Youth Science Forum Planning as Normal
National Youth Science Forum Year 12 Program Updates
Update for Rotary Clubs
Tuesday 7 April, 2020
Dear Rotary Clubs,
We hope this email finds you as well as can be with the current circumstances around COVID-19. We have two updates to share with you all.
NYSF Year 12 Program & COVID-19
- The current Covid-19 situation provides many uncertainties for everyone. We would like to assure you that the NYSF team is busily working on the Year 12 Program 2021 for January next year. The NYSF Office is working remotely and will continue to engage all of our providers, stakeholders and volunteers to plan the January 2021 program.
- We encourage students who are interested in attending in January 2021 to continue to apply through the normal process via our website. Please encourage STEM interested students in your district to apply.
- It is vital that we receive an appropriate number of applications (approximately 1000+) to be able to proceed with the usual selection process and enable Rotary to select the top 600 students. We will be monitoring the Covid-19 related restrictions and health advice throughout this process and have a series of contingency options ready to go as required.
- To ensure promoting the program is as easy as possible, we have put together a Rotary toolkit full of resources (including social media posts and digital posters) to help you promote the program: https://www.nysf.edu.au/rotary-resources/.
- We are working with Rotary District Chairs to deliver an online option for NYSF Selection and Orientation if necessary. Should we reach a point where it becomes clear that we cannot proceed in January, we intend to postpone the in-person program to a later date in 2021.
- The NYSF has been providing amazing experiences to students for 37 years, and despite the events 2020 has given us, we will continue to think and act positively to ensure that our programs can be enjoyed by our future scientists for many years to come.
Year 12 Program 2020 Session C Refunds
- Thank you to those who have already provided their details to receive a refund for fees paid for the cancelled NYSF Year 12 Program Session C. If you have already provided your details and not yet received your refund, you can expect to receive payment this week, or receive contact from the NYSF for further information if required.
- I want to thank those Rotary clubs who have been able to donate part or all of their 2020 fees. We know it is an incredibly tough time for fundraising and for Rotary clubs across the country. We appreciate any donation, however big or small, and have been heartened by your messages and support of the NYSF as a not-for-profit charity at this tough time.
- If you have not yet submitted your details to obtain a refund and intend to, please do so by 30 April 2020. We have discussed this date the with the Rotary District Chairs and it is agreed this is a reasonable cut-off date.
- To obtain a refund, please complete the online form available here. Please note that Rotary Clubs are required to upload an invoice for the amount they are claiming, and that contributions paid by students to Rotary Clubs will be refunded by the NYSF directly to students, rather than via the supporting Rotary Club.
We are committed to keeping you updated on a regular basis as we move along. If you have any queries at all, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, thanks for your support of the NYSF and we wish you all well in the coming months.
Rotary Liaison Officer, National Youth Science Forum Board
Dr Melanie Bagg
CEO, National Youth Science Forum